Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Agless style, Ageless yearning

Jewelery designer Maryam Keyhani and I seem to share similar relations as 20 somethings not yearning to conform, party or whatever is expected of this particular age group. In her excerpt from Fashion Magazine she quotes: "I use to draw Balenciagas 1950's dresses instead of studying Michelangelo when I was in art school." Wow Maryam were we separated at birth or am I the only one that feels that I don't fit into the typical art school enviroment - or typical enviroment for that matter. It seems my mind is always somewhere else, wanting more for myself, everything I do draws towards that not so cliche dream of living in a century home near italy and venice, spending the day with my 5 parisian cats, designing for paris fashion week while enjoying the busy life of the markets and kiosks. no kids, no husband, no stress.. perhaps a lover?... no stress. Lotto 649, please. Keyhani's view of fashion as an important artistic form that is very much neglected by the contemporary art world is so accurate! I feel like i've just got a new inspiration of independance as a women, I don't need a picket fence white house with a husband and kids. no. not happening ever. Times are changing, organized religon is fading, we should be following what WE aspire for, not what god wants, not what our culture wants, not what our great aunt glenda from trout cove wants. I'm not living by anyones standards anymore.

"Fashion is in Art books, flea markets, museums or your boyfriends closet, you just have to look for it."

1 comment: